Physical activity and Tinnitus
Physical activity is very important for tinnitus relief as it helps cleansing of the body and also brings about balance and relieves your stress. Yoga and Tinnitus
Exercise improves blood flow to the structures of the ear. You should work out what kind of exercise you like and that suits you but a few examples are walking or jogging, meditation, swimming (in the ocean is best as its full of minerals), martial arts, sea or river kayaking, fishing, rowing, bike riding, golf, tai chi, chi gong, yoga, dancing, aerobics, gymnastics, stretching, gym and weight lifting: Becoming more active is important!
Before you increase your physical activities you should evaluate where your current fitness stands and then ask yourself the following questions:
- Is this kind of physical activity going to be safe for me and do I need to consult a health professional before I start doing this?.
- What barriers, physical or otherwise, will I need to surmount to become more healthy such as stopping smoking, cutting back on caffeine or alcohol, maybe having a lack of time to fit in your healthy schedule, needing someone to exercise with together as a training partner. Most importantly choose an activity you like.
Personally I like surfing, kayaking, mountain bike riding, swimming, scuba diving, skydiving and motorbike riding. You can see some of the places I do this here on my website about ByronBay - www.StayByronBay.com
Now some of these I don’t recommend to others and some of these activities maybe even be detrimental to your health. The noiser ones like motor bike riding and skydiving may exacerbate your tinnitus so please be careful and speak to your specialist or doctor first………………..Anyway after you have run through this checklist choose your own activity and fitness routine
After you have chosen your activity you need to prepare for it. These points can help you achieve this.
- Questions yourself and work out what your physical activity preferences and attitudes are.
- Make sure you choose the activity that you really enjoy. If you don’t like it change it. You are much more likely to keep doing something which you really like.
- Ensure you get the right equipment or clothing and gear.
- Make sure you get professional instruction such as if you are going to the gym eg on how to operate the weight machines, the treadmill or stair-climber.
Tinnitus and Exercise
Getting healthier will improve your blood flow, give you a healthy heart and lungs (cardiorespiratory fitness), provide you with increased flexibility, muscular strength, endurance as well as making your tinnitus symptoms lessen.