Relaxation techniques often can help people with sleep problems get a much better night’s sleep. Several relaxation techniques are listed below. Try one or all of them.
* Progressive Relaxation * Toe Tensing * Deep Breathing * Guided Imagery * Quiet Ears
This kind of technique is often most useful when you record the instructions kisted below before you try the method. When you do this read them out slowly with a small pause between each sentence.
* Lay down on your back and close your eyes gently. * Sense your feet, their weight whilst you relax them and sink back into your bed. * Now begin with the toes and progress onwards to your ankles. Relaxing each part slowly * Next move your knees and feel their weight whilst you relax them sinking into your bed. * Now feel your upper legs and both thighs whilst you relax them and sinking into your bed. * Move onto your abdomen and chest making sure your breathing is slow * Next feel your buttock cheeks and their weight whilst you relax them. * Move onto your hands and feel the size of them whilst you relax them and feel them sink * Next feel the upper arms and their weight all the while relaxing them * Roll your shoulders around and then let them relax as you feel their weight. * Stretch your neck very gently and feel the weight of your head on you sholders * Slowly relax your head feeling it’s weight as you getly relax it. * Move onto your jaw and mouth and make sure you focus attention on your jaw muscles * Feel your eyes and if they feel tense relax the eyelids and let the tension be removed * Finally feel your face and cheekbones and cheek muscles relaxing them slowly * After completion do a scan of your body and if you locate a tense spot
Using these techniques won’t make your tinnitus go away but it will give you relief and make your body very relaxed.
Using this technique you alternately relax and then your toes which helps draw the tension from the rest of your body.
1. Start by laying down on your back and slowly closing your eyes. 2. Now feel your toes. 3. Using only muscles in your feet bring all 10 toes backwards to your face & count to 10. 4. The next step is to slowly relax your toes back to their original position. 5. Again slowly count to 10. 6. Now repeat this process up to 10 times.
Deep breathing lets the body naturally relax itself and is a great way to relax the body and geting your whole body synchronized. Yoga and martial arts use similar deep breating techniques.
1. Start by laying down on your back and slowly relax your body using the techniques above. 2. Next breathe in through your nose and fill your lower chest first with the middle and top part of your chest and lungs next. Do this gently over 10-15 seconds. 3. Hold your breath for a few seconds maximum. 4. Gently and quietly relax and let the air out from your lungs. 5. Relax for 5-10 seconds and repeat this step. 6. If you find yourself getting dizzy this means you are overdoing it and need to slow down. 7. Imagine your are in a peaceful place like a tropical beach and that as you listen to the gentle sounds of the waves you slowly exhale. 8. Continue this kind of breathing technique until you can fall asleep.
Guided Imagery - With this relaxation technique you are trying to visualize yourself in a very peaceful setting.
1. Lie on your back with your eyes closed. 2. Imagine yourself in a favorite and very peaceful place such as a rainforest with gentle sounds and breezes caressing you as you lie back on a bed of soft grass 3. Now imagine you are actually there, see and feel your surroundings, listen to the peaceful sounds of the forest and smell the flowers whilst the sun warms you. Relax. 4. Return to your special spot when you need to. As you use this place more often you’ll find it much easier to fall asleep because the imagery becomes a sleep conditioner.
1. Lie on your back and relax as you close your eyes. 2. Place your hands behind your head and ensure they are relaxed and loose. 3. Gently place your thumbs in your ears so that you close the ear canal. 4. You will then hear the high pitched rushing note . That’s OK as this is quite normal. 5. Now try listening to this sound for about 5-10 minutes. 6. After this place your hands by your side and go to sleep.